Sunday 28 October 2012

Last day in the RV

Spent the day washing, cleaning and re-packing in readiness to return the RV tomorrow, pick up our hire car, and head to our final home in Los Angeles.
The kids were very good and tolerant of our day today, that we took them to see 'Hotel Transylvania' this afternoon. What a great little film that was. We all really enjoyed it.
So what have we learnt about living in an RV for 5 months?

  • We don't need a 6 bedroom house to treat each other charitably - though, I do miss the space! 
  • The kids all talk in their sleep - Ben and Oliver are best of 'frienemies' even when unconscious.  At least Tori and Phi stop fighting when they are asleep. 
  • Sophia and Oliver grind their teeth - unfortunately they get that from me. 
  • Give the girls a light source and a book and they are happy well into the wee hours of the night.
  • We can live without tv. I knew this. This confirmed it.
  • An RV is easier to keep clean than a house.
  • Driving on the wrong side, and driving a heavy vehicle, both take about 1 week to get used to, then they feel as natural as breathing.
  • We don't need stuff. (Let me clarify that shoes are NOT stuff ... I really missed my shoe collection and cannot wait to get home and reorganise so my many new pairs fit in the closet.)
  • There are some dire campgrounds out there, but more often than not, there are some beauties. TripAdvisor and RV reviews are your best friend.
  • Living in an RV teaches the kids to put things back where they belong. I hope this lesson is not forgotten too quickly upon our return.
  • Make sure you remember your highschool physics - you can get a rather large rock out from between two tyres if you use leverage!
  • Schooling on the road is taxing yet greatly rewarding. I know the children have seen and experienced things that conventional schooling just could not offer, and I hope those new learnings can be drawn upon, and contextualised, for the rest of their lives.
  • Discretion is the better part of valour ...
  • I love my kids.
  • I love my husband.
Now, we just have to survive Disneyland on Wednesday, and all will be well!