Monday 30 July 2012

Girls essays


We recently visited Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Fallingwater' and the National Civil War Museum.

We asked the girls to think about both experiences, and to:
(1) write about how they would change the design of Fallingwater if they were the architect; and 
(2) write about whether they would side with the Union or the Confederates in the Civil war and why

Here are their responses.

Sophia - Civil War

I think I would help the north because I hate slavery. I am so glad they won. I love the name United States of America. It was given that name because the USA won. Abraham Lincoln was a young boy. He was poor. He helped many people, so many people voted for him to be President. He became President in 1861. He began the civil war because he hated slavery like I do. He said a speech after his army won. John Wilkes Booth loved slavery. He promised himself that Abraham would never say another speech again. Two weeks later Abraham Lincoln was murdered.

Sophia - Fallingwater

Fallingwater is a lovely place to visit. Everything is beautiful. The only things I would change are the low roofs and the one small bedroom. You will see it if you go on a tour of the house. I would change the colour to white. It is a lovely house. You have got to see it if you ever go to Western Pennsylvania.

Victoria - Civil War

If I was alive at the time of President Abraham Lincoln I would support the Union side of the civil war. One of the main reasons is I disagree with slavery. All men and women, all blacks and whites should be equal as that is what God intended.

Victoria - Fallingwater

The architect of Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright, did a great job of designing the house. I love how he built the house over a waterfall, so close to nature, making some parts of the house feel like a tree house and others like a cave. The only thing I would add is a set of stairs from the top floor to the bottom of the house near the stream. The stairs would go down outside the back of the house and curve around to the front. For safety I would put a wall on the outside of the steps on the first top half of the stairs. The wall will be 1mtr tall and will be made of stone to match the house.